11 February 2015

IN PURSUIT OF THE PERFECT PEDI {THE SPA}



Over the years I have had many pedicures, some good, some bad and some that have left me physically injured!
To me a pedicure is one of the most enjoyable and relaxing of all the beauty treatments you can have. I have decided to do a series of posts on my experiences with pedicures and rate them accordingly.
5 ***** are up for grabs in the seven scoring areas.

I'm really not expecting to find a perfect pedi on my quest, as I believe its quite a tall ask, but I will bring you my personal findings on the day of each pedicure I experience.

Onwards in my quest:

Koi Pond entrance to the Spa


First "pedi" up is from The Spa on Fairway in Durban North. This Spa has been around for many years and operates from a converted house overlooking the Beachwood golf course and the Indian Ocean. The Spa offers all the usual treatments you would expect including two options of pedicures R250 for a Pedicure and R330 for a Paraffin Pedicure.

~~~~~~


1. Booking Process: ***

My phone booking was handled professionally and enthusiastically, but no confirmation was sent. 

~~~~~~

2. Bonjour: ***

On my arrival I was pleasantly greeted and asked if I would like a drink, not sure what the options were I asked for water. I was shown by my pedicurist to a large lazy boy type "pedi"chair that was squishy and comfortable. Immediately I was feeling relaxed, in fact I could have closed my eyes and had 40 winks. My glass of plain chilled water arrived, but it would have been a nice touch to just have some lemon or other fruits to flavor the water, but plain it was to be!  


~~~~~~

3. Ambiance:****

The usual "salon" type relaxing music was playing and even though it was a large open plan reception cum "pedi" and "mani" area other guests were respecting the peacefulness of the Spa.
The Spa overlooks a lovely pool and gardens, but the jewel in this salon are the magnificent views over the Beachwood Golf course and out to sea.
I went on a beautiful hot January summers day, so the sky and sea were blue and it really was a stunning view to gaze at whilst have my "tootsies" pampered.Not all of the pedi chairs face out to sea, so request when booking otherwise you loose out on the best part of the "Spa pedi" experience.





~~~~~~



4. Product : **

I was asked to choose my nail colour before the pedi from a rather poor selection of colours. I chose the above colour, as it was about the best on offer. The brands on offer were Zoya and CND Vinylux. They do have Shellac for those opting for a Shellac mani or pedi and the colour choices were much better. The salon stocks Dermalogica skin and body range.


My polish choice


Dermalogica Retail bar

~~~~~~


5. Treatment: ***

The treatment that lasted an hour included the obligatory and necessary soak in a large metal bowl, but what was slightly different with this pedi was the inclusion of a Rose and Caviar solution that with time turned into a gel. I was assured that me feet would feel beautifully soft and once a powder was added the gel returned to its original liquid state and yes my feet did feel soft, more so than with a usual soak session.Another nice touch while you feet are soaking is a quick complimentary neck and shoulder massage, which I needed.My pedicurist, whose name I cannot remember, was friendly and just got on with the job at "hand" or should I say "foot", which I prefer, despite me being a chatterbox. She was thorough and had good firm hands when doing the lower leg massage.The usual foot scraping, cuticle pushing and painting all made for a very pleasant pedi at the Spa.


Rose & Caviar Soak


6. Au Revoir: **

My invoice was ready and farewells were said, but no suggestion of re booking or even an enquiry as to whether I enjoyed my treatment, but it was lunch time and I got a sense that food was calling from the kitchen.

~~~~~~


7. Was it a perfect pedi?

Whilst it was a lovely, relaxing pedi with a great view and my feet felt great, it was let down by the poor polish selection and the somewhat indifference by the staff.



Overall ***


Finished Result



Contact Details



130 Fairway
Durban North
Kzn








No comments:

Post a Comment